Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Arlington National Cemetary




As I look at these pictures I stand in awe! These men and women fought for our country and I will be forever grateful for their service. There was so many graves and as we were walking by a military marching band walked by and right behind them was a horse drawn carriage with a casket. The American flag draped over the casket and the black cars following it filled with the family members. I wept for the family. I don't know this family or what happened but my heart went out to them. I said a little prayer for that family and thanked that soldier as his casket rolled on by. What a touching experience.  As we were leaving the cemetary I noticed rocks on top of some of the graves (mostly with a Jewish star on the grave stone) I asked Jason if he knew why there was rocks on top and if it could possible be a Jewish tradition but just then we walked by one with a cross and we were confused so of course I had to look it up. This is what I found out.. "The tradition dates back to Jacob’s sons placing rocks atop their mother Rachel’s grave. It also serves as a cover to a grave in sandy climates where winds may expose the buried to animal predators." They also said it was adopted by Christians and Muslims as well especially in areas they can't leave flowers or in bad climates. I thought this was interesting. It was a great day.

1 comment:

Barbara said...

Arlington is one of my favorite places in D.C. The first time that I went, I cried through the entire tour (I was with a group).