Wednesday, August 10, 2011

90-day food supply


Our bishop challenged us a couple weeks ago to get our 90 food supply together for our family before Nov 30th. AHHHHHHHH................. Yeah stress thats right! We had nothing! we had a conference for our ward one Saturday night where some people from the ward showed up and my visiting teacher talked about food storage. She gave us a ton of handouts on how to do it, how to make meal plans, how to budget so we can do it, how to can things like butter and cheese, etc. Anyway I decided to make an inventory of all the food I had in my food storage and the only things I really had was flour, sugar, noodles, and sauce. Yeah we could live a week on spaghetti and then we would have nothing. So I decided I needed a plan and I needed to get to work. I was stressed because we had NO MONEY!!! I couldn't wait till we got our paycheck and get some of the stuff on my list. I was feeling more stressed out because I was also trying to get together our 72-hour kits and also an emergency medicine kit. So I decided to make my list and watch for sales. The Monday after all this we got paid and I looked at the sales at save mart. I found cereal, fruit snacks and pop tarts on sale!!! yay! I went onto the Kellogg website and I found coupons for the cereal. In the end I bought $84.00 worth of groceries for only $39.00 yay! I was so proud of myself and that began my food storage. Last Saturday we had a yard sale (with the post wide yard sale) and made enough money to help us get more food to put in my storage. I am very happy with my food storage after only 3 weeks. I think we could survive a month now:) I know that everything that has happened to us the past few weeks have been a blessing. I know its not going to be easy but we were told by the Lord that we need to have our food storage together generations ago and I had nothing. So here we go. wish us luck and pray real hard for us. I know we can do it. The Lord will provide a way so we can accomplish this goal of ours.



Isn't it pretty?

No comments: